Friday, May 28, 2010

Unagi Don


The first meal I prepared for my hubby was about one month after renovating our house. We fixed a date on a Friday, just eight days before our wedding, after work to go over to our new home for dinner. It was more than ten years since I last cooked, so naturally I was a little anxious. Just to be on the safe side, I decided to do something simple: Unagi don, or Japanese teriyaki sauce eel with rice, and omelette.

First was to cook the rice in my Zojirushi rice cooker, which usually takes 35-40 minutes. About 10 minutes before it's cooked (usually you can smell the fragance of the rice when it's about done), I'd put in the ready-cooked unagi on top of the rice and let the cooker finish the job. Here's how it looked like when done:


Next was cutting the onions and beating the eggs, then pouring the mixture into a heated wok that was lightly oiled, and stir fry till slightly brown.




It was a quick and easy meal to prepare, really. But judging from my hubby's satisfied expression, I dare say that he's quite happy with it.

Note: I bought the ready-cooked Japanese eel (unagi) flavoured with teriyaki sauce from Carrefour. It's definitely a tasty dish to prepare if you're in a hurry, but at about $9.80-$12.50 a packet, it's certainly not a dish you'll eat everyday.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online